What’s going on in your photographer’s mind during your portrait session?
May 13, 2019
Have you ever wondered what’s going on in your photographer’s mind during your portrait session? A lot! Insight from a NYC maternity, newborn and family photographer
- Are my camera settings correct?
- Is my focus perfect?
- Why are there so many clouds/not enough clouds/too much sun/not enough sun today (natural light)?
- Why is my lighting equipment not cooperating today (studio light)?
- Is the light hitting my subject correctly (angle, quality, strength)?
- Will I do a good job?
During maternity sessions:
- This mom is so beautiful
- I will suggest a break after this setup, I want to make sure that mom is comfortable and gets some rest
- Am I suggesting too many breaks?
- I wish I could be pregnant again
- Wait – if I am pregnant again, I'll have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes
- This mom has been not been to the bathroom since she arrived – how is she doing?!
- I hope that she is blown away by how beautiful she is when she sees her final images
- This woman’s life is about to change forever – what a magical moment!
- This woman chose me to capture this incredible time in her life – I am truly blessed!
During newborn photo sessions:
- The miracle of life has happened again!
- I hope baby is going to sleep
- I hope baby is going to be awake for a little bit for awake shots – but happy and not fussy (lol)
- I am not sure this baby will sleep
- Maybe this baby will sleep finally?
- Maybe not
- Is mom comfortable? I want to make sure she is comfortable!
- Please don’t be sorry that your baby needs to eat every hour – this is perfectly normal!
- I really want the perfect shot of baby’s feet
- I am hot
- Is baby going to pee right after I remove the diaper?
- I want another baby
- If I have another baby, I will have another kid to help with homework – I will not be able to deal with more homework, let’s be realistic
- These parents chose me to capture this incredible time in their life – I am so grateful!
During baby, motherhood and family portrait sessions:
- I hope the big sister(s)/brother(s) will cooperate
- Bribery is the key to everything
- I hope that mom is not too stressed out about the process
- I hope that dad likes me too
- I am stressed about capturing the perfect family portrait
- My crop is not perfect but the emotions could not be more beautiful
- What a beautiful family
- Life is all about love
- I need to find a photographer for my own family
- These people chose me to capture their love – I am so blessed and grateful!
Et voila, a glimpse of what it going on in a photographer’s mind during a portrait session. We try to make it look as smooth as possible but believe me our minds are racing at the speed of light! (Disclosure: it might be a bit easier when you do fashion photography and hire professional models, but photographing young babies and children is often an incredible and fun challenge!)
TIP: Before clients arrive for their photo sessions (either at my Upper West Side Studio or in Central Park), I always try to find a few minutes to check my equipment and BREATHE. I find it important to be in a calm space to be able to focus (and spread a relaxed vibe) and deliver the highest quality of work.